Sunday 2 February 2014

(41) Short Film Sunday #26: Fairy tales

Drawing by Margarita Stāraste.

Today's post won't really be a short film, nor it will be any kind of film post. I am making exception, because one of my all time favourite artists, animators and children book authors, Margarita Stāraste, is celebrating her 100th birthday. So I want to use my blog to wish her a very happy birthday.

Daudz laimes dzimšanas dienā, Margarita Stāraste!*

I was fortunate enough to grow up with her books and illustrations, and I was fortunate enough that my parents read those books to me. One of the best known Margarita Stāraste's created character is Zīļuks/Titmouse. During my childhood I made a few of them myself by using matches and of course an acorn.

Drawing by Margarita Stāraste.

Margarita Stāraste brought to life many little creatures in woods, in your garden, at the back of your house, raindrops and snowdrops came to life, everything had its own life and story to tell, and everything was brought to life in vivid colours. These are the tales that will be passed on from generation to generation.
So all in all it is short film Sunday, just a different kind, I am asking you to roll back your film and remember fairy tales from your childhood, maybe it's time to dive back into them, indulge yourself into a fantasy world.
There are hundreds of more pictures that I want to put in, however I leave it to you, if you want more simply google - Margarita Stāraste pasakas - to open up a whole new world in front of our eyes, and if you happen to be in Latvia go to the nearest bookshop and ask for her books, you won't regret it, even if you can't read in Latvian (if you can read in Japanese, then look up her books in Japanese, as far as I know, a few of them have been translated into Japanese).

Enjoy, my dear reader, and once again a very happy birthday to Margarita Stāraste!

Drawing by Margarita Stāraste.


*Happy birthday, Margarita Stāraste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, write...